So, you've made your monkey fist from our DIY post and want to turn it into your very own prop. Here, we'll show you how to take that beautiful monkey fist and turn it into a fantastic set of poi. Alternatively, you can check out our DIY rope dart!
- 2x completed monkey fists
- Excess rope still attached to the monkey fists (approx. 50-70cm)
- 2x handles – you can use a large bead for this, or simply tie a knot in the end of your rope to create a handle, or you can check out our poi handles
- A ruler or tape measure
- A lighter – to melt the ends of your rope
1. Cut one end of your excess monkey fist rope as close to the head as you can get it. Use a lighter to melt the cut end and stick it to the knot.
Be careful – the melted rope will be hot!
3. The ideal length for poi is from your hand to your armpit.
4. Cut the rope and attach or create your handle.
5. Repeat for the second monkey fist.